Monday, October 12, 2020

This week I was talking to a friend about books that have made an impact on our lives. I read a lot, but I don’t remember all the books I read. If I remember a book, I know it is because that book resonated with me in some way.  I remember finding Mary Stewart’s books in my local library when I was young. Books like “The MoonSpinners” included mystery and romance which was a heady combination for a young girl. Dashiell Hammett’s books like “The Thin Man” and “The Maltese Falcon” hold fond memories for me and the movies were great as well. Another book that is unforgettable was “The Shadow of the Wind” by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. The Sherlock Holmes books (mostly short stories) fit in this category as well. Holmes is a damaged man who has much to offer mankind and much to offer readers who hate their own imperfections. Umberto Eco’s “The Name of the Rose” is complex and haunting. I have to include Raymond Chandler’s “The Big Sleep.” The secret is to keep reading, because that is how you find what matters to you and what becomes an amazing memory that you hold in your heart throughout your life.



Reading right now:

Tana French’s “The Searcher” is now available. French’s books fit the category of memorable books and I’m sure many of you remember her first book “In the Woods” which was the first in her Dublin Murder Squad series. This book is much anticipated since French has won many awards for her work and hasn’t had a new book for two years. This is a stand alone novel centered around former Chicago police officer Cal Hooper who tries to escape his former life to build a quiet, healing new life in Ireland only to find that you can’t leave behind who you are and that everywhere you go people have secrets.

 

On hold right now:

I love David Baldacci and get very excited whenever a new book by him is on the horizon. In November, “Daylight” which is the third book in his FBI agent Atlee Pine series becomes available. Pine is still looking for her sister and when she follows a promising lead ends up stepping on the toes of John Puller who is in  the middle of making a drug ring arrest. Talk about books you will never forget, Baldacci has written a few of those. I remember vividly going to Las Vegas right after “Absolute Power” was released. I took the book with me and was so much more interested in reading that book than running around Vegas.

Finally, after four long years, Anthony Horowitz is adding to his Magpie mystery series with a second book called “Moonflower Murders.”  Horowitz has left his impact on both adults and children. His Alex Rider series for kids is extremely popular, as are his books for adults. His latest adult mystery brings back Atticus Pund and Susan Ryeland who get dragged into a twisty tale of a man perhaps wrongly convicted of murder.

Norwegian mystery authors have left a tremendous impact on the genre. Jo Nesbo’s latest called “The Kingdom” is a stand alone novel in which two brothers face their violent past. Nesbo’s twelve books in his Harry Hole series kept him on the bestseller list and his new book looks to be just as popular. His charming and funny “Doctor Proctor’s Fart Powder” for children has helped him influence children and adults alike.

Lead by Example: Read

Other Mysterious Things:

Because I am a public librarian, I try to keep up with popular children’s books and books for teens. I see parents who in their attempt to help their children read actually end up embarrassing their kids and turning them off reading. Let your kids decide what they want to read and enjoy what they enjoy. There’s a secret to turning your child into a reader. The secret is to find that first book that engages their imagination and from there anything is possible. They will never be bored again and they will have amazing memories of great books. Good luck in finding that amazing book for yourself and for your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment