Sunday, December 2, 2012


Reading right now:

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

            I am currently reading “Gone Girl” and I don’t think I have ever read a book faster. I am intrigued by the two main characters and am dying to find out what happens next. I didn’t think I could love this book more than her first one (“Sharp Objects”), but I was wrong.  If you haven’t read this yet, do not waste time reading reviews or thinking about reading it, just run to your local library and request it now. It is psychologically chilling and very intriguing.

            This is only the third book by Gillian Flynn, but hopefully there will be many more. “Sharp Objects” won several awards and was nominated for an Edgar. Supposedly a movie is in the making as the rights to the story have been sold. By the way, any one of her books would make for interesting discussions if you are part of a book group.

On hold right now:

            I have “The Forgotten” by David Baldacci on hold at my library. It came out November 20, 2012 and I am very excited to read it. I love his books especially the Camel Club books. They are exciting, fun reads that you can’t put down.  “The Forgotten” is the second book in his John Puller series (after “Zero Day”).
While Baldacci is a terrific writer who has written around 17 novels, he has also won awards for his efforts to promote adult literacy. He and his wife started the Wish You Well Foundation to help develop literacy programs.

            The new Harry Bosch novel called “Black Box” by Michael Connelly also just came out (Nov. 26, 2012). I’ve enjoyed the other 17 Harry Bosch novels and have high hopes for this one. If you haven’t read this series start with “The Black Echo” and just keep on going!

            Michael Connelly knew he wanted to be a writer when he was 12-years-old after reading Raymond Chandler’s novels. If you are a mystery reader and haven’t read Chandler’s novels, you should pick them up immediately. Start with his first novel, “The Big Sleep.”        

TV Shows:

            I am going to admit that I like “Elementary.” I think it’s entertaining and I’ve always enjoyed Jonny Lee Miller (I even liked the rather odd “Eli Stone” which you can watch on Netflix). Sir Arthur Conan Doyle once tried to kill off Sherlock Holmes as a character. Wouldn’t he be appalled to find the character as popular today as when it was first conceived? I also enjoy BBC’s “Sherlock” (on Netflix). The real point here is that while watching the Sherlock Holmes movies and TV shows is fine, everyone should read the books and short stories. They are amazing and a big part of the history of the mystery genre. Start with “A Study in Scarlet” which in 1887 was the first book in the Sherlock Holmes series and finish them all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment